Hello! I’m Marissa. Nice to meet you!
I’m a twenty-something Emergency Room nurse with over 4.5 years of various experience (including inpatient!) who just started grad school. I’m Catholic, perpetually single, generally nerdy, and always up for coffee. This is my story, the stories of my patients (altered and wiped clean of any HIPAA identifiers), and spiritual musings that have helped me to grow in my faith in Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Want to explore the site? About will tell you more about my story. Bookshelf is a listed of recommended reading (spiritual, scientific, fiction, and more!) and books I want to read. Policies and Procedures is the boring (but necessary!) legal mumbo jumbo.
The sidebar called Let’s Talk About will list a variety of topics I blog about frequently. Otherwise, general categories of blog posts include:
- Bible verses where I explore a particular passage in depth like the Apostle Thomas’s Need for Proof.
- Bioethics where I discuss the science and morality of current bioethical issues such as Burwell v. Hobby Lobby.
- Patient Stories where I recount how my past patients and how coming to know them has challenged my faith and relationship with Jesus. One particular patient I know only as Journal 33 taught me the Benefits of Daily Prayer! Another named Liam reminded me why I became a nurse in Purposeful Hourly Round.
- Physiology where I relate anatomy and physiology to faith. A particular favorite of mine is The Frank-Starling Law of the Spiritual Heart which combines my love of heart physiology and the paradox of the spiritual life.
- Prayer where I talk about the necessity of prayer and ideas of how to pray. I especially like the idea of holding baby Jesus.
- Pop Culture where I discuss current topics in media such as the wise words of Zac Brown Band’s Homegrown.
- Spirituality where I discuss a variety of miscellaneous topics and how it relates to the spiritual life. Hospitality and the refugee crisis has been on my mind and heart lately.
- Travel Nursing where I talk about my adventures (and mis-adventures) while I travel nursed coast to coast in 2014. Travel Nursing 101 is a primer of everything I learned with advice to prospective travel nurses.
- Vocation where I discuss discerning the Lord’s will best learning how to become a gift of self. After Happily Ever After discusses what I learned about marriage from “The Office” and my own friends getting hitched. A Season of Singleness talks about how I learned the purpose of singleness from Theology of the Body and the book of Genesis.
Want to talk to me? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to support me? Please feel free to share my work with others! I appreciate your patronage and sincerely hope you enjoy the content! 🙂
I spend a good chunk of time researching, writing, editing, etc. instead of working extra shifts. If you’d like to help me financially, you can do so by shopping!
By clicking here and shopping on Amazon.com, I earn a small percentage if you purchase anything within 24 hours. Too, links from books or products that bring you to the site will do the same. My online store with gift and personal suggestions is available here.
Thank you so much for visiting! Hope you stay a while! 🙂